Last updated: February 5, 2019
2019-2020 Medical School Application Kick-Off Meeting
8:00 PM on Tue, Feb 19 in the Pechet Room at Lowell House (the Inn @1201 Massachusetts Ave)
Mandatory for all current students applying to medical school for this upcoming cycle. Alumni in the area are strongly encouraged to attend.
** We have created a list-serve specifically for pre-med students at Lowell. The pre-medical committee will be email any announcements to this list-serve, so please make sure that you are subscribed! You can sign up here. **
** If you are interested in medical school, but haven't had a chance to meet with one of the pre-medical resident tutors, please email us at email@example.com**
Welcome to the Lowell Pre-Med Advising webpage! The Lowell House Premedical Committee is a group of physicians and physicians-in-training who can help you decide whether to enter a career in medicine and guide you along the first steps to that career. The Lowell resident tutors on the committee are Anna Ruman (chair), Jeremiah Wala and Leslie Tarver.
If you are interested in applying to medical school or would like to receive important email notifications pertinent to premedical students, please contact the premedical committee by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a way to reach all the resident premedical tutors.
What the Premedical Committee Does
We help you decide whether you want to enter a medical career, and guide you through course requirements, MCAT preparation and obtaining letters of recommendation. When you apply, the committee will write a Dean's cover letter (aka Committee Letter) on behalf of Harvard College, and will send this letter along with your other letters of recommendation to AMCAS on Aug 15, 2018.
Advising for Lowell Students
We encourage you to get to know your resident pre-medical tutors! We are here for you – to help you decide whether to enter the medical profession and to guide you through the admissions process. Find us in the dining hall, meet us at our study breaks, or arrange a time to meet with one of us via email@example.com.
Timeline for 2019-2020 Applicants
- Lowell 2019-2020 Applicants Meeting, Feb 19, 2018
- By ~March 1 - Have asked all of your letter writers to complete a letter of recommendation.
- Due April 1, 2019 - Lowell Pre-Med Questionnaire (email as PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Due April 1, 2019 - Send unofficial transcript to email@example.com
- Early April - Lowell House Committee Discussions take place at Lowell House (sign-up link available after completeing Questionnaire)
Due April 15, 2019 - 4-5 letters of recommendation turned into the Lowell House Office (see below)
- Letters must be on letterhead, and include a signed and completed Waiver Form
- Due June 10, 2019 - 1-2 letters from experiences / class concluding in Spring 2019
- The Lowell House Office uploads the Dean's Letter and designated letters of recommendation to VirtualEvals on August 15, 2019.
Take the exam before June (at the latest) to apply this cycle, although it is possible to apply with a June exam if your application is otherwise stellar. Register more than 20 weeks prior to the desired test date – test dates fill up quickly! Discounts/fee waivers and preparation materials will be provided to students who qualify for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program.
Recommended Resources from AAMC:
- The MCAT® Essentials for Testing Year 2018: Free guide to MCAT. (on AAMC website)
- Khan academy videos (free): More than 1,100 free videos and 3,000 review questions
- Psychology and Sociology Textbook Roadmap (free from AAMC): Find with Google search
- 4 Full-length official MCATs ($35 each, from AAMC)
- Official AAMC Section Question Bank ($45 from AAMC): 300 questions. Biochemistry, psychology, sociology
- Official AAMC Practice Question Bank ($72 from AAMC): 720 questions (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Critical Reasoning and Analysis)
Important Advising Resources
Lowell House Office – Holds all your recommendation letters, even after you graduate.
- Tel: 617-495-2283, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hours are M-F 9-4, summer hours are variable, usually M-F 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM; call ahead to confirm.
- Office of Career Services (OCS) – College-wide information for Harvard premedical students.
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) – MCAT information and application statistics
- M2 schedule – Shuttle Harvard Longwood Medical Area. You can also take the T (GreenLine-E to Longwood).
- Lowell Non-resident Tutors - 15 practicing physicans and medical students who mentor pre-medical students - Excellent resource for career decision-making discussions, shadowing opportunities. See Medicine section, Lowell SCR Directory